For every child to be able to write fluently and competently for a range of purposes.
- Use of the Talk 4 Writing planning sequence.
- A focus on the development of rich vocabulary.
- Discrete spelling lessons along with an emphasis on spellings within lessons and marking.
- High-quality, accessible texts, as a stimulus, for all units of writing.
- Next-steps marking that will develop children’s knowledge, skills, and understanding.
- Personalised, inclusive targets that will challenge children.
- Development of fluent, legible, and eventually speedy handwriting.
In 2019, 88% of Y6 pupils achieved ‘Expected Standard’ for writing and 34% of Y6 pupils achieved Above Expected Standard for Writing (Externally Moderated).
Using Teacher Assessment (July 2019),
At the end of Y3 – 65% of pupils write at EXS.
At the end of Y4 – 68% of pupils write at EXS.
At the end of Y5 – 76% of pupils write at EXS.
At Carbeile, our aim is to develop confident, independent writers. We teach writing following the ‘Talk 4 Writing’ sequence, which was developed by Pie Corbett. It is a powerful technique because it is based on the principles of how children learn. It enables children to imitate the language they need for a particular topic orally before reading and analysing it and then writing their own version. Coupled with Alan Peat’s work on sentences, and regularly assessed Spelling, Punctuation, and Grammar learning the children at Carbeile are given all the tools they need to write to a very good standard in all genres.