At Carbeile, we understand the importance of pupils reading books that are at the correct level. We have taken the following steps, in order to ensure that all our pupils are reading a suitable text…
- The Cliff Moon classification scheme for books has been disbanded (it was out-of-date and we had now way of matching newly purchased books to the scheme)
- All classroom book corners have been re-organised and books re-labelled using a new, accurate system….
- New, easy-to-follow, sticker colours (black-grey-white-red-orange-yellow-green-light blue-dark blue-pink)
- These books bands have been communicated and explained to parents and carers.
- Books are grouped into colours in the Reading Corners.
- A poster, showing this new system, is in place in all book corners.
Teachers use a variety of assessment tools in order to check that reading books match well.
- PIRA tests taken each term.
- Regular 1-1 reading with children and listening to children in Reading Skills lessons.
- Parents encouraged to read at home and comment in the Reading Record.
- Toe by Toe Reading Age tests taken when needed.
- Pupils who find reading difficult are allocated a Code-X book.
- Regular book reading and checking from the school SLT.
- Focussed reading with Pupil Premium children and children who do not read at home.
- Bug Club subscription. Children allocated suitable books that they can read online.
- ‘Year- group levelled’ Bug Club books that are used in Reading Skills lessons.
- Code X groups taught by trained teaching assistants for some children who struggle with Reading.